Located in the shadow of the Slieveardagh Hills and based in the hurling heartland of Mid-Tipperary, the parish of Gortnahoe/Glengoole could not help being prominent in the Gaelic Athletic Association. It was in 1886 that mention is first made of both teams in the parish, with the club in Gortnahoe being first to get off the ground, and followed closely by the formation of a club in Glengoole. Over the years both clubs flourished at different periods both separately and together, but in 1961, following the ‘one club one parish’ rule, the Gortnahoe/Glengoole GAA Club as we know it today was formed. Also a team called ‘John O’Learys’ from the Slieveardagh Hills area was active between the years 1944 to 1947 inclusive.
Gortnahoe/Glengoole Juvenile GAA Club was formed as a Club in its own entity in 1980 to progress and nurture Gaelic games for the youth of the parish and it wasn’t long before success came its way with the Club winning an U/12 ‘B’ Mid-Tipperary Hurling title in 1981. Prior to 1980, similar to most other clubs, Juvenile affairs were organised as part of the Adult section of the Club. In the intervening years many Mid and a number of County titles have been won in Hurling and Football, in addition to several Scór successes, culminating in the highlight of the Juvenile Club’s history to date when Gortnahoe/Glengoole won the U/16 ‘A’ Hurling & Football Mid & County championships in 2001 in a glorious year for the Club.