Ballylooby GAA club was first affiliated to the South Tipperary board in 1941. The Rehill Unknowns had been playing since 1934, and some players from Ballylooby parish had lined out with Rehill during the late 30’s. The introduction of the parish rule in 1940 decreed that players could only play for the team of the parish in which they lived. The Ballylooby based players could no longer play with Rehill, as the team was actually in the parish of Burncourt. Thus in 1941 the team entered the South Junior hurling championship for the first time. Success arrived quickly, when the team won the Junior championship in 1945. The rapid rise to a top team is a reflection on the previous 10 years work done in Rehill and Ballylooby, to promote the game and develop the skill level required to compete at the top level.
The team competed for the following few years, however the club struggled to field teams during the 50’s and 60’s as a result of the declining availability of players in the parish. Finally, in 1972, the Junior hurling championship was won after a gap of 27 years. The team was comprised of players from Ballylooby and Clogheen, playing for the Ballylooby club. At that time the footballers in the parish used to play football for Clogheen.